Top Ways to Improve Your Criminal Record

There are a few things you can do to help improve your criminal record. One is to complete all the requirements of your sentence, such as probation or community service. Another is to stay out of trouble and avoid getting any new charges. Finally, try to take advantage of statutory provisions that will automatically clear your criminal record. However, if those options don’t appear relevant to your situation, those aren’t your only choices. Here are five other ways to clean up your criminal record.

Seal Your Criminal Record

In many states, you can have your criminal record sealed if you meet certain requirements. This means that the public will not be able to see your criminal record. To seal your criminal record, you will need to petition the court and show that you have been rehabilitated and will not be a repeat offender.

Expunge Your Criminal Record

Expunging your criminal record means that your record will be completely erased. To erase your criminal record, you must meet certain requirements. These include completing a drug treatment program or staying out of trouble for a certain period of time. You’ll want to research the specific requirements in your state.

Hire an Experienced Attorney

If you are facing DWI charges, don’t hesitate to contact an experienced DWI attorney. Hire someone who has considerable experience with DWI cases. Ask them about their success rate and whether they have overseen cases like yours before. An experienced attorney can help you understand the laws in your state and what options are available to you. They can make sure you get the most favorable outcome possible in your case. Besides helping you build a strong defense; they can also negotiate with prosecutors on your behalf.

Get a Governor’s Pardon

A pardon means that your criminal record will be forgiven. To get a pardon, you must usually prove that you have been rehabilitated and are not likely to re-offend. Pardons are granted by the president in cases of federal crimes like treason or governor in cases of more common crimes. You need to submit an application for a governor’s pardon, so keep track of all relevant paperwork regarding your case.

Set Aside Your Criminal Conviction

In some states, similar to sealing your record, you can set aside your conviction if you meet certain requirements. This means that your criminal record will not be visible to the public. To set aside your conviction, you must usually complete a drug treatment program or stay out of trouble for a specified amount of time.


Many people find themselves with a criminal record for substance use, traffic violations, and even more serious crimes. If you have a criminal record, it can be difficult to find a job, rent an apartment, or obtain a loan. Fortunately, there are ways to improve your criminal record in some cases. By sealing your criminal record, expunging it, hiring a DWI attorney, getting a pardon, or setting aside your conviction, you can improve your chances of getting the resources and opportunities you need to get your life back on track.

About Brooke