Skin conditions are medical disorders that affect the skin, nails, related glands, and hair. Skin conditions occur due to allergens, such as food and soap, viruses, bacteria, genetics, and parasites. Skin disorders can also affect the way a person looks and lead to stress and depression. Below are four skin conditions to watch out for.
Vitiligo is a condition that causes skin and hair color loss. The discolored patches become bigger with time. It occurs when melanin-producing cells stop working or die. Vitiligo can occur due to an autoimmune condition, family genes, and triggers, such as stress.
To spot vitiligo, look out for:
- Color loss from the skin in patches, especially on the face and hands.
- Hair graying or whitening prematurely.
- Color loss inside the mouth or nose.
Acne happens when sebum and dead skin clog pores. There are many acne breakouts, such as whiteheads, blackheads, milia, microcomedones, and papules. Hormonal changes, diet, medicine, and pregnancy trigger breakouts.
The symptoms of acne include pus-filled pimples, bumps, large lumps, skin irritation, skin roughening, scarring, and painful bumps.
Atopic dermatitis, also called eczema, is a skin condition that makes the skin itchy and red. It appears mostly on the face, feet, skin folds, scalp, and hands of children. Eczema comes from gene variations that leave the skin vulnerable to allergens and irritants.
Look out for dry skin, severe itching, thickened or cracked skin, small leaky bumps, recurring lesions, and red patches to spot atopic dermatitis. The skin can also swell and become sensitive because of excessive scratching.
Eczema may cause complications, including sleep difficulties, asthma, hay fever, and skin infections. For more atopic dermatitis resources, visit a dermatologist.
Hives (urticaria) are itchy and red wheals with elevated skin areas of different shapes and sizes. There are various types of hives, including:
- Acute hives. They appear from food and medication and last for shorter than six weeks.
- Physical hives. They come from environmental factors such as sun exposure, cold, and vibration. Also, consistent skin scratching can cause dermatographism.
- Chronic urticaria. The cause may be thyroid issues, hepatitis, or cancer. It can have severe effects on the lungs and digestive tract.
The signs of hives include itching, painful swelling on lips and eyelids, and red welts. Hives may appear and disappear for years.
Hives, atopic dermatitis, acne, and vitiligo are skin conditions that can affect a person’s health and social life. Look out for the symptoms and visit a dermatologist if the condition is unmanageable.