A nominated tester, often abbreviated to NT, is a person that is allowed to carry out MOT tests. There are very stringent criteria in place for those who want to become a VOSA MOT tester. However, it is certainly worth going down this route, as there are many benefits you will experience. After all, an MOT is a service that is always going to be in high demand, and, thus, you can rest assured that your skills will always be needed. This will make your business more attractive to customers or you could find yourself benefitting from a better job – one that is better paid. You can also demand more money by becoming a qualified VOSA MOT tester. Keeping that in mind, continue reading to discover everything you need to know.
As mentioned, there are various eligibility criteria that are in place for those who want to carry out MOT tests. Before you will even be considered for the exam, you must:
- Have been nominated by an examiner that is MOT authorised.
- Be of good repute.
- Have no unspent criminal convictions that are connected with the motor trade or the MOT testing scheme, nor can you have any unspent criminal convictions that are related to acts of intimidation or violence.
- You must have a minimum of four years’ experience as a full-time skilled mechanic, and this experience must involve the repair and servicing of the types of vehicles you want to test.
- You must have a current and full UK driving licence for the types of vehicles you want to test.
- You must pass the DVSA / Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency’s Nominated Tester Training Assessment (NTTA) exam if you want to test class 3, 4, 5 or 7 vehicles.
- You must also have the appropriate qualifications if you want to test class 3, 4, 5 or 7 vehicles.
Hopefully, you now have a better understanding of what is required of you if you want to become a VOSA MOT tester. The next thing you need to do is find an approved training course where you can get the assistance and training you require so you can pass the exam. Choosing a training centre with care is of paramount importance. Not only do you need to ensure that they are approved, but you should read reviews that have been left by previous customers as well to get a good understanding of the level of quality that is provided by the company.
Once you have completed this stage, you will then be ready to take the examination to become a VOSA MOT tester. This exam consists of 60 multiple choice questions and you have one and a half hours to complete the paper. If you take a look on the Internet, you will see that there are plenty of practise questions available to give you a good idea of what to expect. If you pass the exam, it is worth pointing out the fact that you will need to take a refresher course every five years. If you fail to do this, you will not be allowed to carry out MOTs.